Sunday, December 17, 2006

Primary

I used to be a deep shade of blue.

I remember, when I was younger.

Much younger.

I didn't go to school then. I hadn't known.

I remember going to church, putting on my suit, combing my hair. I would look at myself in the mirror.

I had been a wonderful color. The others had admired me.

Life was simpler before I started going to school.

I did not know of fiends then.

I cared for someone, once. I had loved her.

She had went to my church, and she was the loveliest shade of pink I had ever seen.

She would compliment my color and I would blush, though she wouldn't see. I would tell her she was beautiful.

We had kissed one summer, under a tall apple tree in my backyard.

School had ended our relationship in more ways than I had imagined it could.

The first day is still imprinted in my mind, vividly.

I had walked, carrying my backpack and lunch.

It was the last time I bothered bringing my lunch to school with me.

I saw her.

She sat in the front row, looking for all the world like simply a grumpy, innocent student.

Mr. Milk stepped to the front of the class. He was a pale green then, not much brighter than now. But at least it was color.

More color than any of us have now.

Now I am dark gray.

Marvin managed to keep his coloring, at least a little. He had been lime green, glowing like the sun.

He still has traces of it. I don't know how, but he is still green.

A dark teal.

We were all dark now, except for Mr. Milk.

He didn't have the energy to turn pure white. He had just turned a disgusting tan.

Vendetta had done it to us. Normally if someone had changed your color, you would be angry for it.

My new color is not really a concern of mine.

On the first day, I bid my love good-day at room one, where she had class.

I walked, apprehensive, my own room.

I was nervous that day.

I am nervous every day, but that day I was nervous for a different reason.

Trouble started shortly after Mr. Milk introduced himself.

Vendetta stood up on her desk. Feigning sweetness, she asked if animals were allowed in class.

Mr. Milk dealt with her like any other student.

"I'm sorry, Vendetta. Pets are not permitted". He turned back to the chalkboard.

She was done playing.

"No."

He swiveled on his heel, amused.

"I'm sorry?"

"No. I want to bring my fiends to school."

He walked over to her, leaning down.

"That isn't permitted. Now, if you wouldn't mind, I'm going to start class."

Sarcasm wasn't Vendetta's strong point.

"Get away from me. I am not a five-year-old. I am going to get my fiends and there is nothing you can do about it."

She jumped out of her chair and walked purposefully out of the room.

I wondered what would have happened if right there, Mr. Milk had grabbed her, sat her down, and been firm.

But he stuttered, and by the time he realized what had happened, she was gone.

He didn't really know what to do, so he had simply returned to the lesson plan.

Vendetta came back later that day, carrying a box.

Grudge wandered in after her.

I don't know if she had made Grudge that day, or simply had left him at home and gone to get him. The other students have different theories, but I don't attempt to guess. I know I will probably never find out.

Mr. Milk looked at Grudge in fear.

It was then that his color began fading to a slightly lighter shade.

Grudge grabbed him and threw him to the other side of the room.

Vendetta opened the box and a black, toothed bat flew out. It started flying about the room.

Marion started the screaming, and soon everyone was.

I never screamed at the site of the fiends. I would sit still, praying.

Save me. Show me salvation.

The door flew open and the bat flew out, racing around the school yard.

Room one was out at recess.

My love had been playing on the slide.

The bat was on her before she could yell.

It was then I had turned dark gray.

I wish I hadn't, but there is nothing I could have done about it anyway.

I'll never forget, though. I'll never forget that simple fact that seems to represent everything my school career has done to me.

I used to be a deep shade of blue.